Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DIY Burlap Letter Art

So with the hallway project underway, artwork is the current project. While browsing Etsy to look for prints, I instead received some inspiration for some DIY art. I found this print online and fell for it...I'm a sucker for the natural look of burlap. However, I had the classic thought of "I can do that" (however, I'm still a supporter of the artists on Etsy and have purchased a number of prints/items that I loooove) I found out my mother, whom I've learned I should always check with whenever there is a random need for something, had leftover burlap in her garage. Sweet!

So here's what was needed:
  • Homemade paper stencil
  • Burlap
  • Scissors
  • Painters tape
  • Black paint
  • Paintbrush

All stuff that I already had. Making this one freeeeee project. Yay. 

Here's a photo tutorial of my version of this print (sorry for all the varying colors/contrast in the photos...you get the gist):

So it all started with a print I made in Publisher...just a circle with a letter in it. I printed it on regular paper, since cardstock was not available.


Then I carefully cut the circle and around the letter. This part took a bit of patience, but notice I kept the "d" attached by a small strip that I didn't cut away.


On the burlap, I took an 8x10 frame and taped around it to map out the size of my art.


Then I centered my paper stencil and tape it on there...


Filling in the open space took a little bit of skill. I used a flat small paint brush.  When it came to the edges, I just made sure not to have too much paint on the brush, and I would also push down on my paper stencil to be a sharper edge. Surprisingly the paper would take some of the excess paint that may have gone over on the edges. 


Removed the stencil, now just going to fill in the rest by hand...


Ta-da!


Then just used the green tape as the guide as to where to cut...


And now framed all pretty in the lovely goodwill frame...


After creating my template in publisher, it took me about an hour to complete this from start to finish. Probably could've been quicker, but I can be particular. Overall, I'm so happy with it. Perfect addition to our hallway.

Doorknob upgrade using spray paint is coming soon as well. I'm so thankful to have gained the knowledge (from fellow blogs and Pinterest) of simple, cost effective ideas for sprucing up your house and making it more your own. It really pushes me to think outside of the box and stretch my lil creative wings.

Happy Tuesday evening!

3 comments:

  1. I love this look! Great job. What font did you use in publisher? I like the old-school look of it.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Thanks so much! I used "Poor Richard" in bold, although I slightly edited it by filling in a little section where the circle part of the d is connected in the middle. You can kind of tell in the first pic.

      - Lisa :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lisa! That's the one I kept going back to. Also, thank you for sharing your idea... very cool. I'm going to get started on mine.

      Michelle

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...