Friday, September 28, 2012

Birthing Classes...to do or not to do?

I just visited my hospital's class page and a bit of instant panic rose up in me, lol. I wonder if it would just be better to show up the day that Finn is coming, and deal with everything then. Lol. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to do these classes, but I'm just curious for those who went through it, was it helpful in the end? Or did it just bring about more worry?

I've been privileged to witness two live births, so I've seen all that goes down in the room and I'm very thankful for that. So I'm not sure if I need more info, or just deal with it then. I guess more info and practices wouldn't technically hurt, but I wonder if that would leave room for worry to come.

So I'm looking to hear your experiences. Any mom's/dad's out there take any birthing prep classes at your hospital? Or did you opt out and just learn things here and there?

(Ps...I made my very first craigslist purchase! I bought some metal vintage outdoor chairs for only $10! They need love, but I think they're gonna look amazing! Will share once they're done!)

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, I did not take any classes. I personally think it just comes naturally to you when your in the room about to give birth. The best thing to do is stay calm and let everything happen on its own. Its not as stressful if you go into it with an open mind. When you have contractions just breathe and try no to think about the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Lindsey for sharing your experience. Definitely trying not to overthink it, but I think I'm still leaning toward taking the class. Still not sure yet. I believe it though, that what you need to do comes naturally. :)

      Hope you and baby Jackson are doing well!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Finally commenting after lurking around here forever! I did not attend classes either. But I did find it useful when in labor to breathe deeply as they tell you in the movies. Labor is different for everyone. I barely noticed when my contractions were 5 minutes apart, whereas some of my friends were in excruciating pain. I think it was 3-4 hours after I was admitted to the hospital that the contractions were painful (imagine intense menstrual cramps). I didn't deliver until about 10 hours after I was admitted to the hospital. Focusing on my breathing was the best thing I could of done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, thanks Bethany! That's crazy that you barely noticed your early contractions! And it is true, I've heard it all how different labor can go. By the time the day comes, I'll just want to get it over with and our boy safely out.

      I'm glad you finally posted on here too! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...