Wednesday, December 4, 2013

For The Love of Pizza - Kitchen Art

Let me tell ya, this art project certainly wasn't pretty at first. But it's finally complete.


Pizza wheel kitchen art? Check. For a while I was trying to think of what to paint on this board to place in the kitchen. I knew I was thinking of doing a silhouette or outline of some sorts. So I was browsing through kitchen art on Pinterest and kept finding spoons and spatulas and forks and roller pins. You must know that I'm not much of a baker, a cook, or anything in the kitchen department really. So all of those things don't feel that fitting for Rob and I.

But let me tell ya, we are pizza lovers. Mm hmm. Fo sho. So with that, pizza wheel kitchen art was born.

The original idea was to use a wood burner to follow the outline that I traced of our genuine pizza wheel. 


Unfortunately wood burning is not for the faint of heart. Or I should specify, not for Lisa. At least not this go around. I'm sure there's much to learn...but let me tell you, I tried. And I tried. And I tried.


Pretty right? Lol. I'm not sure if it had to do with the wood grain that caused lots of bumps, I don't know. It was just a hot mess. (I should explain all the random marks around the thing were after I declared it a disaster and it then became a test piece of wood) At one point I tried seeing if a sharpie would work (you can see on the handle in the pic below) and that just bled and looked horrible.


Yep, I almost gave up on this idea. I had one more spare wood piece left, so I sketched the thing on there for a third time and hoped that the paint would take.


And thankfully it did.


Using a flat tipped small brush I was able to get a crisp line.


Originally I had just the pizza wheel on there but it felt like it was lacking for me once I put it on the shelf, so I then added a black border and painted the sides black as well.



Peek-a-boo Christmas tree... :)


Maybe one day wood burning and I will meet again...but for now, I'm okay with a little distance. Paint and a good brush saved the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...