Friday, September 13, 2013

Master Bath Demo Time

How about a little bit of demolition to cap off the week? Yeah, demolition might be too strong of a word for this, but the important thing is our master bath has our attention. I bought some white paint to freshen up the top off-white portion and ceiling in this room and it has spurred on some other things that need to be done first. 

Like this mirror...


This is really the only before shot of this mirror I could find. My sweet baby boy. But all you need to know is the mirror is off centered from our pedestal sink and needs. to. go.

I had mentioned this to Rob to help me with because I knew it would be a messy job needing a bit of muscles and skilllll. And then I get this picture of him later in the week while I was at work...


Lol, to protect himself while pulling the mirror off the wall he came up with a mask. Out of a t-shirt and welding goggles. Whatever works, right? :) Those welding goggles kill me, haha. He taped up the mirror and started pulling pieces off. This is our second (but much smaller scale) experience with ripping GLUED mirrors off our walls. And I gotta say, gluing a mirror to a wall is not the thing to do. It's just not right, people!


It's left us with a bit of a mess, but nothing our previous mirror removing experience can't handle. Our next step is spackling, then sanding, then re-texturizing. I don't think that's a word, but oh well.


Here's a good shot to see how the mirror was off center AS WELL AS the light fixture. Bleh...


So then I got the easy job of removing one of the most annoying cabinets ever. I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but this cabinet door will not. stay. shut. The magnet kept coming off and I can't tell you how many times we've almost pierced our heads on the corner of this thing.


The other annoying thing is the inside shelves are rounded at the ends so it really wasn't great storage, things always fell out of it. Needless to say, I'm happy to say good riddance.


Yeah, this was much easier than removing the mirror...but oh so satisfying.


So many holes in these walls, and pretty big ones from all the anchors. I think I lost count at 14.


Gah, the lighting in here is so yellow. Here's the white paint I plan on using for the top portion.


I have already purchased a new wall cabinet found in the as-is section at Ikea for 50% off, woot woot! And here's a little glimpse into what's mulling around in my head for the rest of it...


I'm thinking of doing a fresh coat of white for the top portion of the walls/ceiling and a very pale gray for the paneling. I'm loving the look of a round mirror over the sink and then DIY it to appear like it's hanging like the pics above. For the sconces, I'm thinking of either doing industrial or nautical styled. Also will later think of some simple bathroom-friendly art to fill a few spots.

Well I'm just happy that we're looking at this room now. We use this little bathroom so much, it'll definitely be nice when it's a little a lot more pleasing to the eye. And one day maybe we'll get to gut the thing and start fresh. But for now I'll celebrate our little mini reno.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...